Mission Statement

Purpose

The purpose of the John C. Dunphy Foundation is to promote charitable, educational, religious, scientific, literary or cultural work in the United States.

Vision

Our vision is improving the quality of life for the people and service organizations within our local communities (and wherever the spirit may lead.)

Mission

Our mission is to help aid and assist causes of concern within our community by means of donations, grants and matching gift programs.

Commitment

Our commitment to society shall be a promise to maintain the highest degree of integrity, ethical behavior and morality as an operating standard.

As responsible citizens we will make a difference by helping to build and support sustainable community events, charitable endeavors and goodwill causes.

Our culture will be defined by our higher purpose, values and behavior; reflected by the actions of each director, officer, manager, representative and affiliate of our organization.

Through leadership and team work we will encourage the collaboration of collective minds specializing in value oriented community services.

Our communications will be relevant, pertinent and easy to understand.

Our values shall serve as a compass for our actions and govern how we behave in the world.

Our integrity will be real.    What we do, we will do well!

Who Is John C. Dunphy?

Foundation_JCD2John C. Dunphy was born in Brooklyn, New York on December 19, 1928. His father was named John Charles Dunphy, and his mother was named Bernadette Cummins Dunphy.

John attended PS 198 and Alexander Hamilton High School in Brooklyn. As a youth, he liked to play football, stickball, and sandlot baseball in Brooklyn. His dog was his constant companion.

To earn money, John tended to the flowers in the local cemetery. He also worked with a vegetable peddler selling his produce on weekends.

John enlisted in the US Navy in 1948 and was assigned to the aircraft carrier USS Cabot. He served until 1950 and was honorably discharged. Upon leaving the Navy, he settled in Huntington, New York and started his career in the electrical field.

Given his expertise, the US Army called upon him to work on military projects. He was stationed in Fort Dix, New Jersey where he served from 1954 to 1958 and then honorably discharged.

In 1960, he bought WT Hickey, an electrical company, in Huntington Station, New York. As his business grew, he relocated to the present location on Dawson Street which had previously served as a church. Upon renovating the building, the church bell was salvaged and he donated it to the parishioners. He served as President until he retired.

John loved to travel and visited many foreign countries. Since childhood, he traveled to and loved to spend time in the Adirondacks where he enjoyed hiking, and camping and he was an avid fly-fisherman. In later years, he enjoyed playing tennis. He was a licensed pilot and for years had his own plane. John’s love of dogs never wavered.