John C. Dunphy was born in Brooklyn, New York on December 19, 1928. His father was named John Charles Dunphy, and his mother was named Bernadette Cummins Dunphy.

John attended PS 198 and Alexander Hamilton High School in Brooklyn. As a youth, he liked to play football, stickball, and sandlot baseball in Brooklyn. His dog was his constant companion.

To earn money, John tended to the flowers in the local cemetery. He also worked with a vegetable peddler selling his produce on weekends.

John enlisted in the US Navy in 1948 and was assigned to the aircraft carrier USS Cabot. He served until 1950 and was honorably discharged. Upon leaving the Navy, he settled in Huntington, New York and started his career in the electrical field.

Given his expertise, the US Army called upon him to work on military projects. He was stationed in Fort Dix, New Jersey where he served from 1954 to 1958 and then honorably discharged.

In 1960, he bought WT Hickey, an electrical company, in Huntington Station, New York. As his business grew, he relocated to the present location on Dawson Street which had previously served as a church. Upon renovating the building, the church bell was salvaged and he donated it to the parishioners. He served as President until he retired.

John loved to travel and visited many foreign countries. Since childhood, he traveled to and loved to spend time in the Adirondacks where he enjoyed hiking, and camping and he was an avid fly-fisherman. In later years, he enjoyed playing tennis. He was a licensed pilot and for years had his own plane. John’s love of dogs never wavered.